07 February 2018

Wednesday, February 7: Green Iguanas

In the morning we walked up to the taxi stand and took a taxi to St. Ignacio. There we walked around town shopping and exploring.
For a snack I had soursop juice (related to pawpaw) and salbutes (corn tortilla with bean and veggies). Then we went to the Bambu bubble tea place and had bubble tea. After that I went to the St. Ignaceo Resort and Hotel where I took the green iguana tour. Since it had been raining, I was the only person on the tour.  The iguanas were in a large cage and were tame, so I was able to hold them. The guide talked about the way they behaved and the efforts made to preserve them. A major goal is to educate the people of Belize about the importance of conserving them since they hunt them for food particularly adult females when they are carrying eggs. 



On the way back I stopped at a roadside cafe where I met Thomas and Laura who were also staying at the Parrot Nest. They were going tubing, so I joined in. The river was high from all the rain, so it was a faster than usual ride. It was so much fun that we walked back and did it again. It was good that we did that since it began to rain harder, and it became too dangerous to go again for several days.


No comments: