09 June 2021

Wednesday, 9 June 2021: Flight to Istanbul

I arrived in Istanbul early afternoon and had a taxi ride already scheduled to my hotel. However once I got within a ten minute walk the driver informed me that it would be faster to walk because the traffic was so bad, so I walked the last bit on crutches carrying a backpack.  I was on crutches because I had broken my foot 6 weeks earlier. I hadn't taken public transportation because I wanted to avoid walking on crutches with a backpack, but it worked out just fine.

I stayed at the Sude Konak Hotel, in the Sultanahmet area, in the Old Town and near Hagia Sophia. They gave me an upgraded room--a balcony and a whirlpool tub.  Breakfast was amazing--among more usual breakfast choices, they had greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, feta, olives, and a tahini dressing, so I had salad every morning for breakfast sitting outside looking at the Hagia Sophia. It was great! 


Breakfast!

 After I checked into the hotel I walked around to get my bearings and obtained a metro card.  The most touristy thing I did today was to visit Gülhane Park. Tomorrow I'm planning to go to Hagia Sofia and to take a cruise on the Bosphorus.  Istanbul felt really safe. I was told that pickpockets tend to leave tourists alone because there is such a high penalty, and I felt safe everywhere I went in Istanbul. I did well traveling by myself and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Although I enjoy traveling with  my friends and family, I will definitely travel by myself again.

Divan Yolu Street, a half block from my hotel,  has been the city's main thoroughfare since Byzantine Times. The first horsedrawn 
tram opened in 1872, and today it is mostly limited to buses and trams. I took the tram both ways from my hotel.
Gulhane Park

Gulhane Park

View from my hotel (to the right)

View from my Hotel: Hagia Sophia (to the left)



Sude Konak Hotel: I had the room on the top left; widows on 2 side, a balcony, and a fabulous view.





Sign on each Floor. Quite Quiet



25.1 miles by taxi, 1.3 miles on foot

No comments: