17 June 2021

Thursday, 17 June 2021: Samaria Gorge: The Longest Gorge in Europe

Today I hiked the Samaria Gorge,  the longest gorge in Europe, a level 3 of 5 hike in difficulty. It was about 10 miles of mostly downhill (the gorge itself is only eight miles long, but there were a lot of switchbacks),  a lot of rocks, some sketchy bridges, and even some walking across rocks in the water. I took a bus to the start of the gorge, walked for more than 6 hours--I went very slowly and carefully on account of my foot. At 5:30 I caught a boat back along the coast and went from there by bus back to Chania and my hotel.

The boats all leave at the same time: 5:30PM, so there is plenty of time to get to the bottom of the gorge.  I think the best advice I received was to wait at the top until all the others hikers rush past, then you can have the gorge to yourself. 










Google maps did not distinguish between the first bus ride and walking, nor between the ferry and the second bus ride.



No comments: